When you need the help of a professional, it’s smart to take some time and evaluate multiple options. This is especially true when it involves seeking out a business lawyer.
When you open a business, there are plenty of things you will need to do that require the help of a business lawyer. Establishing a long-term partnership with a local business lawyer is an important step, and a crucial one for your business.
Let’s take a look at how a professional can assist you, and explore some tips for comparing business lawyers in Westminster, MD in order to simplify your search in finding the one that’s right for you!
What Can a Business Lawyer Help Me With?
When partnering with an experienced business attorney, you will reap many benefits. In fact, the partnership you create will help protect and grow your business in so many ways.
Here are just a few examples of things that a business lawyer can help you with:
- Filing a patent, registering a trademark or copyrighting material.
- Forming a corporation, limited liability company or non-stock corporation
- Handling government requirements and making sure you comply with state and local regulations
- Drafting a stockholder agreement, by-laws, LLC operating agreement or partnership agreement that allocates profits and losses, sets forth rights and duties, and determines what will happen in the event of a disagreement, or the death, bankruptcy or disability of one of the owners.
- Selling your company or purchasing another company or business.
Tips for Hiring a Business Lawyer:
- Ask for referrals. Reaching out to friends, neighbors and other business owners in your community for recommendations for a local business lawyer in Westminster is a great place to start. If you hear good things about a local legal professional from others who use their services, they are undoubtedly worth looking into.
- Consider smaller firms. Big law firms have many attorneys and may be able to quickly assign someone to assist you, but that doesn’t always mean you’ll get high quality or personalized services. Small, local firms are more likely to give your needs the attention they deserve, and usually come at a more affordable price.
- Ask plenty of questions. When doing your research on local lawyers, you will want to speak to them and get as much information as possible. Questions such as how long they have been practicing, how much of their practice is related to business law, and if they have worked with businesses like yours, can help you make a decision. However, it is not always cost efficient to base your decision solely on how much they charge for a particular service—the right lawyer will provide you with a consultation to better understand the needs of your business and will work with you to determine a fair price for their assistance.
- Make sure they have experience with your type of business. There is a wide variety of specialized areas when it comes to Maryland law. Finding a professional educated on your particular kind of business is essential to getting the qualified services your business requires.
Kathleen Rus is among the top Westminster, MD business lawyers and is dedicated to understanding your business needs in order to provide you with the best legal assistance possible.